Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Sleep

Tuesday,
Jan. 5th, 2010
It is 5:39 am. At 3:33 am my dog, who was left outside by my beloved husband, started barking at only Heaven knows what. I was awakened from what was a short but sound sleep. Every time this happens, I relive the memories of my childhood. Times during the evening/night when my dog, Curly, would bark at the neighbors as they would be walking nearby. They were never close enough to touch but close enough to be heard. They would say threatening things and scare the daylights out of me. Threaten to kill the dog or take care of it was the norm. Being a female child, I always felt helpless to counter attack with comment. So anytime mid-morning when Libby is left out and decides to wake me up, I get to relive those same feelings of panic.
Which leads me to wonder, is sleep that essential? I know it is not a fair quality for as I write my husband has since gone back to sleep along with the dog on my bed. The talent to close one's eyes and immediately return to that land of recuperation is to be envied. I, on the other hand, have become wired for action. I will find this moment of desired recuperation around 2pm this afternoon while at work with no where to lay my head. Somehow, the indentation of the alphabet on my forehead isn't very productive. My coworkers find it to be an unwelcome quality.
This should be my time of life where sleep is a gift from the Gods. My crowning moment well deserved and earned. Ha.
As a youth, I wanted to sleep long and often but school crimped my style. I didn't care if I missed something. Children came along and desired sleep was stolen for the good of the cause__bless their hearts. In the not to distance future, I will probably not be able to sleep or the patterns of sleep will be like that of a baby, dysfunctional.
Would someone please make up my mind so my body can get balanced. If I sleep too much, they may say I'm depressed. If I sleep too little, I'm lacking the energy to work. Throw in crying babies, barking dogs, wrong number phone calls, or stormy nights and life happens.
Perhaps I'll let sleep do its own thing and I'll go back to figuring out eating.
Well, the clock says 6am. Time to get ready for work. I wonder if I could give my dog and husband a sleeping pill that will keep them sleeping all night long for my sake.
The numbers 3:33 will be forever on my mind till my head hits the pillow for another try tonight.
Good morning world. If by chance we should happen to pass, I'll be the one with toothpicks holding my eyelids open. I hope your day started off with a good nights sleep. You'll need it.

1 comment:

  1. Well no wonder I had that crazy thought in my head! You put "pass" out into the world and it ended up on my tv! No more writing suggestions like that! Now, enjoy your sleep. :) You deserve it. But don't forget the CPAP or whatever in the world it's called! hehehe love ya! ~me;)

    ReplyDelete